Butch T. Cougar has won the Pac-12 Mascots Death Match. Congratulations to the affable, albeit deadly feline of the Pacific Northwest. And, if you’re asking me, no matter his seeding (#11), he deserved this honor.
In a battle that saw anthropomorphism tossed around like names in a coaching hunt, Butch eliminated a Tree, Devil, Bruin, and a Buffalo. A live Buffalo. He received 2802 votes, was represented by two different writers (Michael Preston of CougCenter and moi), and is now the last anthropomorph standing in the fiercest mascot death match the world has ever known.
So congratulations Butch T. Cougar! What are you going to do next? He’s going to own the PacHoops facebook cover image for the foreseeable future:
We shall call it Butch and Ernie.
Thanks to every writer who contributed to the Death Match. They were witty, brilliant, swift, and terrific. This is them:
- Dubs from Jack Follman of Pacific Takes
- Swoop from Robby Jackson of Utah Scout
- Chip from Ben Burrow of Rumblin Buff
- Traveler from Jacob Freedman of Galen Central
- Puddles from Matt of Addicted to Quack
- Benny from Connor Pelton of Rush the Court
- The Tree from Kevin Danna of Pac-12 Networks and the NBADL
- Wilbur from Roommate Pete of That Poor Architect
- Swoop from Leah Beckmann of All of the Internet
- Oski from Nick Kranz of California Golden Blogs
- Joe Bruin from Luc of The Stoop Kids
- Sparky went unclaimed